Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Angel In Antelope Canyon

click on image to better see the angel
I can honestly say that the worst frustration in using Photoshop has always been selecting parts of an image. From early on I simply avoided trying to make selections of images that had hair, tree branches and leaves, grass and other complicated items. That pretty much meant I did not do any kind of photo editing that demanded selecting parts of an image.
Now comes the new improved, bigger and better Photosop CS5 with a selection process so quick and easy, even I can do it.
I watched the early blurbs showing how easy it was to use content-aware edit, puppet warp, much better noise reduction using camera raw and improved HDR. I still have not figured out why I would use puppet warp but when the time comes I'm sure I won't have any problems using it.
The early releases demonstrated the ease with which one could do these really cool operations, so I immediately dove into a project I've been wanting to do for ages.
I have always had a fantasy of hiring a Navajo girl dressed in full Indian costume, standing in one of the light beams in Antelope Canyon. I've been wanting to do that for ages. I even called a couple of the tour agencies in Page but was told that due to tribal laws, rules and so on the model would cost hundreds of dollars for this kind of photo shoot. Then there was the extra cost of reserving exclusive access to the canyon, so on and so on. Reluctantly I scrapped that notion.
Along comes CS5 with the reputed easy selection process and since I just returned from Antelope Canyon, that notion came back to bug me.
I watched the advertising videos but they did not show half the steps in the selection process. So I signed up for the Scott Kelby training for $25 bucks a month. I signed up for the monthly plan because I want the flexibility of not using the service from time to time. Let me tell you, judging from this one lesson alone, the service is more than worth the price. I am over 60 and my eyes are not the best. One of the things I have eliminated is trying to work out of a book and use the computer at the same time, so this online training with excellent video solves the problem for me.

Thanks for reading, and a special thanks for your links and clicks. I really do need to be linked to other sites and would appreciate that favor.
If you like the post then please use the provided links for your shopping. Stay safe and have a fun time with your camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment