Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Expect the unexpected photography opportunity

click on image for a better view
I am not the kind of person that carries a camera everywhere they go. I generally don't carry a camera unless I am going to a shoot or coming from one. I have a small point and shoot I never use. Basically, that kind of photography is not for me. However, when a photographic opportunity presents it's self and I am packing cameras, then of course I have to see what can be photographed.
This house fire is a case in point. I arrived after the fire was put out, so I was left with looking around for something to shoot as it were. People shots are always interesting and everyone loves fire engines, so I decided to try and do some interesting shots of both. I parked my truck in an out-of-the way area and then walked up to the scene. That gave me some time to switch the gears in my head and start thinking about what I'm going to shoot.
When I encountered the group in the shot above I found the uniforms interesting and knew they would photograph well. So I just yelled at the group "smile" and took this shot with the Nikon D5000 and the 18-200mm vr lens. This is my favorite combination to photograph with. The lens was set to f/7.1, the shutter at 1/30th and ISO was a low 100.
I also had the Didymium photographic filter on the lens. I have been using that filter since April and it just stays on my lens instead of a UV filter. I love this "intensifier" filter! Check out the colors in this photo, especially the foliage. I did a post on this a while back. Check it out when you have the time. It's not an easy filter to find, you might try Amazon.com, I that is where I got mine.
Anyway, I just walked around looking for interesting scenes like this:


click on image for a better view
Lots of color, lights and reflections.
I had fun doing this little shoot, nobody was hurt in the fire and fire departments from Horizon City, Socorro and El Paso County all took part and prevented a much larger fire.

If you like the post then please use the provided links for your shopping. Stay safe and have a fun time with your camera.
Don't forget to write me if you have any tips, or news. I like to hear from you!

My Flicker Photostream
My babe photostream on Flickr
My SmugMug account

No comments:

Post a Comment