Monday, June 14, 2010

Get in close when out photographing events



Click on image for a full view
I planned to arrive at the day's events at least a half hour early so that I could have a look around, spot likely places for me to position myself and to look for photographic targets of opportunity. I snapped this picture while I was watching the members of the Six Guns and Shady Ladies load their real weapons with blank ammunition. I like getting in close for a shot like this and I'm not afraid to ask for a change in position or to hold a pose so I can get my picture. This is key. Don't be afraid to ask.
It also pays to be curious. I shot the following picture because I saw this huge book on a podium. I wanted to see what was inside. Well, did I get a surprise!

Click on image for a full view
The funny part is that I never did get to see what the book was about. I was so busy with trying to get this shot and the show was about to start, so I needed to clear out. I had to hold my Nikon D5000 directly over the book, flip out the LCD screen and shoot in live view. What a great camera the D5000 is!
I photographed the entire show with the D5000 and the Nikkor 18-200mm lens. I was shooting aperture priority, at f/5 because I wanted to get realistic looking shots and needed to blur the background as much as possible.  I set the ISO kind of high at 400 because despite the bright West Texas sun and 103F temps, there were some really deep shadows and I wanted to just stay quick and nimble.
I was shooting RAW, which I processed in DXO and never did have to touch a RAW file. The noise is minimal because after all, I was using a great Nikon camera. DXO speeds processing RAW files immensely and I had the assurance of being able to go back to the original file should the need arise.

If you like the post then please use the provided links for your shopping. Stay safe and have a fun time with your camera.
Don't forget to write me if you have any tips, or news. I like to hear from you!

My Flicker Photostream
My babe photostream on Flickr
My SmugMug account

1 comment:

  1. Getting in close is a fantastic tip! I don't have quite the zoom capabilities I would like but my Canon Rebel XT does take very high quality pictures. So if I don't get the in-close detail as close as I wanted I have the pixel cushion to zoom in and crop after the fact.

    ReplyDelete